It can be a real challenge living in the present moment because it’s all too easy to get sidetracked thinking about the past, worrying about the future, or distracted by technology!
Being present is something you can practice on daily basis. It won’t happen overnight, but it’s something that if you’re paying attention to and aware of, you will get better and better at living more in the moment.
Here are a few reasons why it’s important:
1. You can improve your social skills, like speaking less nervously and listening thoughtfully, with your attention focused on the person you’re interacting with.
2. Also, you know that when you write, paint or do some other creative work, you do a much better job when you are not thinking that much. Things just “come naturally” and more easily to us when you’re living in the present.
3. The “present” mind observes the world with more clarity and curiousness... and suddenly ordinary things become more fascinating and amazing!
4. Being present helps you steer away from stress. You become calmer, centered, and can put things more easily in perspective.
5. it’s a great release from that horrible tendency to overthink and over-analyze.
6. You become more open to new ideas and other people, because living in the present strips away many of the barriers and prejudices within your mind.
7. When you are in the present, you enter a playful state of mind. You may even feel that many things become more enjoyable and easier to do!
Simple ways to keep focused on the present are by meditating, paying attention to your breathing, and by focusing on who or what is in front of you throughout the day. Leave your cell phone ringer off, turn off FB notifications, and keep your attention on the sights, smells, and sounds that are around you!
Your challenge this week is to practice being PRESENT! Are you in with me? Let me know in the comments!
Follow me on: